Deworming Drugs Not Responsible For Death Of School Children

Advertisements

The Ogun State Government has said the deworming drugs being administered on school-age children in 14 local government areas in the state are not responsible for the death of two pupils who died hours after taking the drugs.

The Commissioner for Health, Dr Tomi Coker, said in a statement on Thursday, that the drugs were not poisonous and definitely could not have been responsible for the death of the pupils.

She spoke following the claims in some quarters that the two pupils died of complications occasioned by the drugs.

Coker said the same drug was administered on her alongside other government officials at the commencement of the deworming exercise.

The commissioner explained that the same drugs administered on the deceased pupils were administered on 247 other pupils.

She said the two pupils who died lived within the same compound and they were said to be stooling and vomiting on getting home.

According to the commissioner, these signs are not part of the symptoms of side effects of the deworming drugs.

The commissioner, who paid a condolence visit to the house of the deceased children pleaded for the release of the corpses which had not been buried and ordered for an investigation.

“It was discovered that the episode of gastroenteritis suffered by the two children suggests a possible water-borne disease; cholera.

“Investigation led by the Ogun State Commissioner for Health along with officials of the  Federal Ministry of Health and Abeokuta South Local Government, revealed that the children died of severe case of vomiting and diarrhea.”



#Deworming #Drugs #Responsible #Death #School #Children

You can click here to verify this article from it’s original source /owner